Millet Kheer with Jaggery:
You might have heard of making Kheer with rice but few have heard of making it with millets. As you know making with millets makes it tasty, nutritious, and healthy. Kheer or Payasam is originated in the Indian sub-continent and it is served during meals or in desserts. It is flavoured with cardamom, raisins, almonds, cashews and many other dry fruits and nuts.
Ingredients for Millet Kheer:
- 1/2 cup foxtail millet
- 1/3 cup of desi ghee
- 1/3 cup powdered/ grated jaggery
- 1 litre of milk
- 5-6 Nos. of Cardamon
- 15-20 Nos. of raisins
- 10-12 Nos. of Almonds
- 20 Nos. of cashew
Preparation Method of Millet Kheer:
- First of all the foxtail millet was soaked for 6 hours to get the maximum nutrition. and for better cooking.
- Take a pressure cooker and light the stove to heat it and then put 2 tbsp of ghee.
- Keep the flame on a low medium and add the soaked millet.
- Saute it well for 2 minutes and add two and a half cup of water.
- A pinch of salt is added to it so that millet is cooked properly.
- The pressure cooker is covered with a lid up to 2 whistles on a medium flame.
- After two whistles keep it aside and let the pressure releases by itself.
- Open the lid after 15 minutes and add the boiled milk into it.
- In the meantime, take a pan and add 1 tbsp of ghee into it and then add all the cashews and fry it until it turns to golden in colour.
- Repeat the same process for raisins.
- After 20 minutes put the grated jaggery into it and give it a nice mix.
- Keep stirring and ensure that it does not stick to the bottom.
- Add the fried cashews and almonds.
- Add the powdered cardamom powder into it and switch of the stove.
- Add the fried raisins into it.
- You can put ghee on the top of the kheer.
- Transfer the entire kheer into a bowl and garnish it with almonds and cashews.
- You can take it when it is hot or after it cools down
Award-Winning Recipe: Millet Rasgulla with Jaggery
For more Millet Recipes: Subscribe my Youtube Channel