It was the day of our daughter’s birthday, we thought of making a cake, that too with millet. We have taken Ragi (Finger Millet) flour for making this cake. The ragi cake came out very nicely. It was liked by the children as well as by guests who attended the birthday party. So, I thought of sharing with you so that you can make this healthy nutritious cake when there is a party at your home. I am sure, you will definitely like this cake.
- 1 cup ragi flour fine or sprouted ragi flour.
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 3 tbsps cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 100 gm butter
- 1 cup sugar or jaggery powder
- 1/2 cup yogurt, Dahi (80 ml) whisked
- 1 cup milk or 180 ml
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/8 tsp salt (optional)
Preparation for Ragi Cake:
When all the above ingredients are ready on your table, we can proceed to make the cake. Let us see the steps involved one by one.
- Grease a 7 or 8-inch pan and line with parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 180° C for at least 15 minutes.
- Sieve together ragi flour, wheat flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cocoa powder. Sieve it thrice.
- To the same bowl, add sugar or jaggery powder. I have taken jaggery powder in this recipe.
- Pour milk, vanilla essence, curd, and butter into a bowl. Remember to whisk the curd before adding it.
- Mix everything well just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour the entire mixture into the greased tray.
- Knock the pan to the kitchen counter a few times to release the air bubbles if any.
Baking Ragi Cake:
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 180° C. It took me 30 minutes. To check whether the cake is done, test with a skewer. If the skewer comes out clean, then turn off the oven. If not then, you can go for another 5 minutes extra.
- Cook the cake for about 15 minutes before removing the cake on the wire rack. The cake should be handled gently to avoid breakage.
- After complete cooling, the ragi cake is ready for slicing.
To decorate the cake, you can use some cocoa chips and chocolate syrup.
Please let me know how the ragi cake turned out with you, I will be happy to hear from you.