Proso Millet Upma Recipe:
Proso Millet contains a good amount of protein, carbohydrates, fats, dietary fiber, minerals, magnesium, micro and macronutrients that have antioxidant properties and provide enough zinc, vitamin B6, and iron for daily functioning. It is easily digested because they are non-acid forming. They are rich in fiber which helps in making the stomach full for a long period of time and prevents overeating.
Proso Millet Upma is a good option for a healthy breakfast. It is easy to make in a short span of time. It can be served with chutney or sambar.
- 1 cup proso millet
- 1 tbsp oil or ghee
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp channa dal
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- 1 spring curry leaves
- Pinch of asafoetida or hing
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 tomato finely cut
- Coriander leaves chopped
- Mixed Vegetables: As per your choice. In this, I have taken Snake beans, Carrot, Potato, and spine gourd.
- Salt to taste
|Snake beans, carrot, potato & spine gourd|
- Heat oil/ghee on a pan.
- Next add cumin seed, urad dal, channa dal, peanuts.
- Fry till the deals and peanuts turn golden and aromatic.
- Put the thing and curry leaves.
- Saute for a minute and add the onion and tomato.
- Next, add the vegetables and salt.
- Stir everything and cover it with a lid for 5-7 minutes.
- After that, add the boiled proso millet. (You can do it in a pressure cooker after adding 2 cups of water and wait for 3 whistles. It is always better to soak the millet for at least 3 hrs.
- Stir everything properly once to check any lumps. Break if any.
- Once again, cover it with lid for 2 minutes on low flame.
- Open the lid and stir once. Add ghee if you like. Give a quick stir.
- Switch off the stove and cover again. Allow up to rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve the proso millet upma with chutney/sambar/pickle/curd.
First Winner in e-Millet Recipe Contest: Millet Rasgulla
***Hope, you liked the proso millet upma. Give it a try and comment on how it turned out with you.