Millet Pulao Recipe:
Millet Pulao Recipe is delicious, healthy, nutritious, and easy to prepare. Millets are good for health as it is gluten-free, rich in dietary fiber, and also helps in weight loss. In this pulao recipe, I have taken Foxtail Millet. But you can take Kodo Millet, Barnyard Millet, or Little Millet.
It was the day of Diwali, we decided to make something special on this occasion for dinner. I thought of making Foxtail Millet Pulao with vegetables and Panner. It turned out tasty and delicious so I thought of sharing it with you.
Foxtail Millet Nutritional Value and Health Benefits:
Nutritional Value of Foxtail Millet per 100 grams:
- Carbohydrates – 60.9 g
- Fats – 4.3 g
- Protein – 12.3 g
- Calcium – 31 mg
- Crude Fibre – 8 g
- Iron – 5 g
- Phosphorous – 290 mg
- Minerals – 3.3 g
Health Benefits of Foxtail Millet:
Foxtail Millet is rich in dietary fiber and the Tryptophan content helps in the weight loss journey. It is good for diabetic patients as it has a low glycemic index. It can also be consumed by pregnant women and children as it is rich in nutrients and minerals.
Related Post: Identification of Millets
Now let us see what are ingredients required for making the millet pulao recipe.
Ingredients required for Millet Pulao Recipe:
- Foxtail Millet – 2 Cup
- Carrots- 100 gm
- Beans – 100 gm
- Green Peas – 50 gm
- Cauliflower – 50 gm
- Green Chillies – 5 pcs
- Panner – 100 gm
- Cashew – 25 gm
- Raisins – 25 gm
- Cloves – 5 pcs
- Cardamon – 4 pcs
- Cinnamon – 4 inch
- Black Pepper – 1 tsp
- Gram Masala – 1 tsp
- Bay Leaves – 3 pcs
- Chopped Coriander Leaves – 2 tbsp
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Salt as per taste
How to make Millet Pulao Recipe:
In this recipe, I have taken the Foxtail Millet and soaked it for 8 hours. Soaking millets helps in proper digestion and helps in better absorption of nutrients in the body as well as makes it easy for cooking. It can be cooked in a pressure cooker and earthen pot. Previously I have made millet recipes which you can check – Millet Upma in Earthern Pot and Special Millet Chicken Biriyani.
- Take a pressure cooker and heat it and add 1 tbsp of ghee. Put 3 bay leaves and 1-inch cinnamon. Saute it well and add the soaked foxtail millet. Then add water, two times the millet took, and add a pinch of salt. Cover it with the lead and wait for 2 whistles.
- In the meanwhile cut the panner into small cubes and chop the beans, carrot, and cauliflower into small pieces(1 inch).
- Take a Kadai, heat it, and put 1/2 tsp of ghee, and put the cut panner pieces. Fry it till light golden color.
- By this time millet is cooked, open the lid, and keep aside to cool down.
- Again take a Kadai, put 2 tbsp of ghee, and put the cloves, 4 cardamons, 2-inch cinnamon, and black pepper. Saute it well and put the cashew and fry it for 1 minute. Fry cashew in medium heat.
- Put the chopped cauliflower, beans, and carrot and fry it for 2 minutes on high flame and cover it with a lid for another 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Open the lid and put the green peas and raisins and saute it well.
- Add the salt as per taste and put the garam masala powder and saute it well for 1 minute.
- Add the cooked foxtail millet into it. Ensure to break the lumps properly. Mix it well with all ingredients and put the fried panner and green chilies and chopped coriander leaves.
- Cover it with a lid for 20 minutes on low heat.
- Open the lid and serve it hot with aloo dum and salad. You can also have raita with it.
I hope you liked the millet pulao recipe. Soon will be coming with another awesome millet recipe. Keep sharing the millet recipes with your friends and relatives as millets are rich in nutrients and it is healthy.
Please let me know how the Millet Pulao Recipe turned out with you.
Author: Tapas Chandra Roy, A Certified Farm Advisor on Millets, ‘Promoting Millets from Farm to Plate’. In a mission to take the forgotten grains- Millets to Millions. To remain updated on my blogs on millets you can join my Telegram Channel – Millet Advisor.